Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Lighting the monster

I'm giving some consideration to trying a planted tank on the big tank. Being that this tank is 30" deep, I assume I'm going to have to have some serious light on this tank to go planted. I'm only looking to got with low to moderate light planting. Will I need metal halide for this or can I go with something a bit less aggressive?
    Bobby

CCAC Member
    I put 6 of these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_203213-1373-...hts&facetInfo=

with cfl twist light bulbs on my 225 gallon, also 30" deep. Found that I had too much light - algae was growing like crazy on everything. Very cheap and easy to customize, too.

Administrator
    Did you just have algae or were you growing plants as well?
    Bobby

CCAC Member
    I have a couple different vals, and some anubias. Unfortunately, with 6 of the lights on for 12 hours, the plants were completely covered in algae in about 3 weeks. Gotten better since I dialed it back to 4 lights.

I've got CFL's and LED's on most of my tanks and I've found for deep tanks like that either will work but I like the single LED bulbs I've gotten for China they penetrate to the bottom of the tank quite well and are really cheap to put together, plus the energy savings is what we all need.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bxdragon1 View Post
    I've got CFL's and LED's on most of my tanks and I've found for deep tanks like that either will work but I like the single LED bulbs I've gotten for China they penetrate to the bottom of the tank quite well and are really cheap to put together, plus the energy savings is what we all need.
    Got any info, specs, links?
    Bobby

Global Moderator
    I haven't read it but I believe there's an article in the new TFH about lighting large tanks. Yes, I just looked at the digital copy and it's in the new December issue. It has cardinal tetras on the cover. You might check it out.
    Roy

Administrator
    I'll have to find a copy. I haven't had a subscription to TFH in a long time.
    Bobby

Administrator
    OK, so I'm scratching the idea of planting the 265, but I will be doing a planted 180. I have a 4' and a 3' PC light that I could put on this. I also have a 4' T5 setup that I could use. Would one of these ot a combo be sufficient for a 6' 180? Should I just look for a 6' T5 setup? Tank is 6'x'2'x2', I think. Looking to plant low to med light plants.
    Bobby