Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Emersed build

BOD Member

Emersed build

shots of the emersed build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_1.jpg   image.jpg   image_5.jpg   image_4.jpg   image_3.jpg  

image_2.jpg  

Global Moderator
    OK... Dumb question... What's the purpose of this? Why emersed? Educate me.

BOD Member
    The plants grow alot faster and for crypt collectors its about getting them to shoot out a spath(flower). Crypts only flower out of water or in a very shallow water setup. This set up is a true hydroponic setup with no dirt. I have a dirt setup as well but its not as clean looking. In the plant hobby the the dirt method is also refered to as "dirt in a box method". This setup has really sparked my interest in the hobby again and my daughter loves it. Its also a very easy way to maintain plants for an extend period of time as compared to keeping plants submersed and having to trim and replant. with emersed the plants hold their own alot better and require way less care and don't grow algae all over them.

CCAC Member
    very cool!
    Can you go into more depth on how this is setup?
    Is the bottom tank work like a sump?
    what nutrience do you add to the water?

BOD Member
    The bottom tank is a sump. I think that the more water you have in the dark(sump) the less problems there would be with algae up top. I use RO water w/ a TDS 30 as a base and add General Hydroponics Floranova ferts to a TDS of between 150-200(they recommend 250-750). I have 2 18 watt t-8 lights on the tank at 10 hours per day. The other benefit of this setup is that the light doesn't have to penetrate any water to get to the leaves which means I can use a lot less light and it will still get the job done. Also the plants get CO2 through the air and the concentration of atomspheric CO2 is more than you could hope to get in a submersed setup. I do still run DIY CO2 through the return to bump up the growth rate but its not needed. Ive been jacking around with the PH but I think its going to cause more problems in the end. PH in the system is roughly 5.3. Adjusting the PH also alters the the TDS level and adds phosphates which I fear will cause and algae bloom if I keep messing with it.

One side note:
    I have a glass lid that i had cut to fit snug on the tank. Since most of the plants I am growing need >80 percent humidity the closed top works wonders and the return pump stirs up the water enough to keep the tank very wet.

I'm totally being a geek about this tank but you can do the same thing with dirt and tight fitting lid. I just like the way this looks and the fact that I can see everything that is happening. I come home every night and look at the new growth and am amazed. If you set up a dirt tank you can set it on a light timer and forget about it for months and everything grows and flowers. A lot of the hardcore plant keepers have a dirt emersed setups to keep reserve and rare plants since it is almost fail proof. Most of the aquarium plants are bog plants that grow better emersed rather than fully submersed.

CCAC Member
    Cool thanks for the info.

Just a idea to combat algae, get a sheet of black acrylic (or anything water proof) and drill holes that the pots can fit down into. This will block the light from penetrating into the water.

CCAC Member
    With the tight-fitting lid, how do you prevent mold from becoming a problem? I tried building a paludarium at one point and mold was troublesome until got an air pump blowing air in the tank, but it was still quite humid.

BOD Member
    I haven't really ever seen any mold in my emersed set ups. Adam that is a good idea but I am far to lazy to do that. I have seen it done with styro foam but even that is a pita for me to do. If algae become a problem I will half to try something but right now I'm hoping for the best. lol

On the mold I would think dirt tanks would be more susceptible with all the organics and dirt. The main issues that is my concern is Fungus.

CCAC Member
    That's probably what makes the difference. Makes sense.

Administrator
    This is a cool little setup to see in person.
    Bobby

Yeah it is a cool setup