Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CCAC Member

LED lights and planted tank

Well now that I am almost done with my fishroom. My next project is going to be a 75g planted tank, which is still about 6 months away. This will give me enough time to get everyone's inputs. It will be the only tank not in the basement. I plan to use LED light strips, but plants is like a foreign language to me, so I needed some inputs. First, what kind of LED lights do I need. Would plain pure white 5050 lights work or do I have to add some RGB lights? Second and more confusing question is how much light? I don't know what kind of plants yet so I guess it would be hard to decipher.

BOD Member
    Thats a very good question. I'll look into it.

CCAC Member
    I feel like some of plant guys like to stick with what they know works and there has not been much experimentation with them. I plan on doing one myself and trying bright white 50/50. RGB would work too that ways you can play around with the settings.

Theres a lot got good info here:
    http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/top...ok-at-results/
    Adam Anderson

CCAC Member
    Thanks for the link and add to the CIAPE FB.

CCAC Member
    50/50 while it will bring out the colors of your fish, won't be too beneficial to the plants. The ideal spectrum you are looking for is anywhere from 6000k-7000k. Typically referred to by manufacturers as daylight. If you are creating your own I would definitely mix it up a bit. But the vast majority of the light should be geared toward the plants.

I just bought a Finnex Ray II 48" LED light. I will update you in a few weeks.

http://www.circlecityaquariumclub.co...n-planted-tank!

I looked at buildmyled.com, and marineland plant LED (among others).

I'm finding a best LED light for planted aquarium and I find your post. Thanks for the great question.
    Keeping fish is very happy, I have started with my first 5 gallon fish tank and then I understand a 20 gallon fish tank kit is better for a beginer. Then I decide to buy my new aquarium with a best canister filter for it.

CCAC Member
    I have several planted tanks with DIY LED strips for lighting. I used two strips of 120/M bright white 3528 SMDs per one strip each of 60/M blue and red 3528 SMDs. Did several rows of this combo and it seems to be pretty good for plants. I mostly have relatively basic plants like crypts, najas grass, chain sword and anubias now, have grown rotala rotundifolia and similar plants with them.
    -Rebecca