Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

New setup for my 75 gallon planted tank!

Hey guys, I recently bought a 75 gallon to replace the 75 gal drilled tank with overflow that came with the stand.

See the sketch and let me know what you think about the plants. The plants with ?'s I am not sure on. The tall plants in the back are going to be a native harvest of "seaweed" type plant. I am planning on trimming the roots to keep them behind the tree trunk.

I just ordered a 48" Finnex Ray II today to light the 75 gallon (18"x48"x20" tall) and have injected CO2, but am thinking about buying a electronic regulator because I have been having a hard time getting the bubbles per minute to stay consistent.

Cant get the image to scan... I'll add it on Monday.

Couldn't scan, so I took a picture, will scan on Monday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	werdna tank (2).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	werdna tank (3).jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	448

CCAC Member
    Baby tears are very difficult to grow submerged in my experience. They are technically bog plants and do much better in that type of condition. Micro sword should be a better option but I still don't trust those lower wattage LED systems to go mid-high light plants. It will be interesting to see how it turns out a few months down the road. All the rest of the choices should work out fine.

CCAC Member
    I meant to grow mid-high plants. Couldn't figure out how to edit

Here is the scan. Please let me know what to use for the 2" filler!

Administrator
    I would say dirt would probably be your best bet if you are wanting to plant the tank.
    Bobby

CCAC Member
    With that much gravel above the dirt, I think that the dirt would eventually begin to rot. If that occurs, a lot of hydrogen sulfide (H2S) will be produced. You will need to get a lot of rooted plants to help bring oxygen down into the dirt to help develop bacteria that will eliminate the hydrogen sulfide. CO2, good lighting, and lots of root tabs will help a lot, too.

You can check for the H2S by poking the dirt to let the gas escape. Once the bubbles break on the surface of the water, take a whiff. If it smells like rotten eggs, the H2S is there and needs to be dealt with.

Global Moderator
    I don't know enough about plants to be of any help but I like your illustration. Should be an awesome tank once it's set up and going. I'd love to do something like this.
    Roy

Maybe I will just use something inert and cheap, like gravel.

Didn't end up needing the filler. Sill working on the scaping...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00302.jpg 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	463Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00304.jpg 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00307.jpg 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00309.jpg 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00310.jpg 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00311.jpg 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	468

Anyone recognize that thin grass in the back?

CCAC Member
    Looks good. What kind of fish are you planning to add to the tank?

CCAC Member
    It looks like either valisineria or giant hair grass. Hard to tell from those pictures.