Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Global Moderator

Apistos - who is keeping what?

I'm getting ready to do a painting for somebody of an Apistogramma trifasciatus and it got me thinking about Apistos. I've never kept them since they're softwater cichlids but then again they're small and I do collect rainwater. Anyway, it got me wondering who in the club is keeping and spawning Apistos and what kind?
    Roy

CCAC Member
    I have some w/c apisto bitaeniata. They are still young and difficult for me to sex but I believe its 1 male and 3 female. Im keeping them in tap water just to see (GBR and discus have spawned in it). Fingers crossed.

I have several types of Apisto and they are all in regular Tap water./ Now I know some of these are low ph spawners but all in all they do fine in our city water. My city water anyway, Bloomington

I have several types of Apisto and they are all in regular Tap water./ Now I know some of these are low ph spawners
    Mani

Roy,
    I've been keeping Apisto caucatoides triple-reds for several years now. They readily spawn in tap water. Temperature of 79 F is recommended to obtain the best chance at 50/50 male/female ratio to offspring. I still typically get 70% males though. I'd bet that lowering my pH would do the trick. My reco would be to start with this species - they're so many generations away from wild fish that the soft water requirement is gone. Also - you might want to check the CAFE club. Jeremy B. and several others up there have quite a bit of good luck with several Apisto. species.

I have a breeding pair of Apisto caucatoides triple-reds as well. I'll be turning in some for BAP points if/when we have a meeting. I can part with the parents once I turn the fry in for points.

Administrator
    I have a pair of triple reds I am working to get to spawn. I hope to have a bit more time to dedicate to them once the fish room is finished.
    Bobby