Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Moderator

Saturday Social & Road Trip - June 29th

We’ve got a great Saturday Social lined up for the month of June for all club members!

June 29th we are going to take a road trip to the wild west frontier of Indiana, Terre Haute, to be exact. Here’s what we’ll be doing:
    A) A visit to Inland Aquatics including a behind the scenes tour of their facility. From their website: “At Inland Aquatics we have over 35,000 gallons of salt water dedicated to the propagation, rearing, and holding of ornamental marine fish, hard and soft corals, live rock, live sand, and a variety of marine plants and invertebrates. We utilize Bio-concepts and the latest Eco-technology at our mariculture facility.” They also have plenty of freshwater fish.
    http://www.inlandaquatics.com/

B) A visit with Irvin Bagley and his fishroom. After a hiatus from the hobby when he was younger, Irvin has been involved with tropical fish steady for the last 30 years. He maintains about 170 aquariums in a building he owns across the street from his home. To quote Irvin: “It's just a hobby that got way out of control, but I enjoy raising and spawning the fish and also making new friends.” He tells me that he will have some African cichlid fry that he can sell although he doesn’t maintain a list so you’ll have to see what he has when you get there.

C) A visit to Atlantis Aquatic Gardens. As their website says: “Atlantis is one of Indiana's largest aquarium shops, occupying a 13,000 square foot building, with an outdoor water garden area as well. Atlantis is best known for having a large selection of acclimated marine life, and a huge selection of healthy freshwater fish, plants, and Japanese Koi. We also have a large selection of reptile and amphibian pets.”
    http://www.atlantisaquaticgardens.com/

My hope is that we can arrive at Inland Aquatics at about 11:00am because the manager said he would give us a tour before they open for business at noon. It would be best if we can carpool as much as possible so we’ll need to make plans for that. We should come up with an itinerary so I’m open to suggestions. Maybe 2 hours at each place? We’ll probably want to grab lunch somewhere before heading to Irvin’s place so plan on an hour for that. If we leave Indy at 10:00am then we might not be back till 7:00pm so this will be a full day outing. I realize that it will be difficult for many of you to dedicate a whole Saturday to the hobby but I hope a good group is able to come along on this trip. For all I know something will come up and I won’t be able to make it but I’m going to try my very best. We’ll work out more details when it gets closer. If we find that this schedule is too ambitious then we could drop the visit to Atlantis but I'd like to try to do all 3 in one day.

Roy

CCAC Member
    Sounds like a great time! Thanks for putting all this together.

CCAC Member
    I am in. Just keep us posted.

CCAC Member
    put my request off from work. Sound like it will be a blast!
    Joe D.

If you want to be at Inland by 11 you need to leave the westside of indy by 930. Lots of road construction on 70 and its a 75 minute drive to Inland under normal conditions from westside. Inland not likely to let you stay 2 hours on a tour. More like a hour. and thats plenty. The one petshop a hour is more than enough as well. Never been to Irvins, so im not sure how much time could be needed.

Global Moderator
    Good input, Dave. We'll plan on leaving Indy closer to 9:30 in the morning then. We'll need to pick a place to meet up. Someplace we can leave a few cars if we ride together and has easy access to I-70.
    Roy

i'm not going to be able to make it. i'm running a silent auction that day (all day).

I am in and if anyone wants to ride with me they can meet at my house, I do this trip about every other week, I sell plants and fish to Atlantis and I do Irvin's at least once a month. so if anyone wants to ride with me hit me up.

Administrator
    I will try and make it. Sounds like fun.
    Bobby

Global Moderator
    BUMP.
    One month away... Post on here if you think you're going so that I have a loose estimate.
    Roy

I am going. But coming from Lafayette, I will meet you guys down there.
    Chris Miller
    Lafayette, IN

CCAC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    BUMP.
    One month away... Post on here if you think you're going so that I have a loose estimate.
    Roy
    Sounds like fun. I am making plans to go.

Pencil me in for a maybe.

CCAC Member
    I wont be able to make it but great job Roy sounds fun!
    Adam Anderson

Global Moderator
    Alright, so with me being from way out in the sticks, I'll let somebody else name a good meeting point for those of us that will carpool from Indy. We need a place that we can leave our cars and has easy access to I-70. Also, do we have any volunteers for driving? With these gas prices, we'll want to split the cost as much as we can. I don't mind driving myself although I just have my Impala so can only fit 4 people or so.
    If you plan on coming along on this trip please let me know, especially if you are going to meet us and carpool.
    Roy

Administrator
    I'm hoping to be able to provide a vehicle, but I won't know until closer to the day. Of course, that is if plans don't change and I can still go.
    Bobby

CCAC Member
    I have no problem driving. Since I have an FJ Cruiser, I can only take three other people with me. As far as a place to meet up, Vu had a suggestion before our last meeting. The hotel is a place that everyone knows, has plenty of parking spaces, and isn't that far from the 70 interchange.

CCAC Member
    we will be driving but will be in a smaller car. Can take one other person with us.
    Joe D.

CCAC Member
    Crystal and I are hoping to go, need to confirm a sitter.

CCAC Member
    Mark Huffman, Ashley & Jerry, and I will be going.

I would like to go If I can ride with or have others ride with me . Will be coming from Kokomo.

Global Moderator
    So it sounds like we'll all meet up at the Clarian Waterfront Hotel where we hold our meetings (unless somebody comes up with something better). Be there by 9:30 and plan to leave soon after that. If anybody needs an address for Irvin Bagley or wants my cell number then PM me. I know a few people have said that they only want to do the first part or the first 2 parts of this road trip and that's fine. You guys can carpool together or drive separate or whatever works for you. We do need to arrive at Inland Aquatics at as close to 11:00 as possible. The manager will be giving us a guided tour and I don't want to stop and start over every time somebody shows up late so please be courteous and be on time.
    Let me know if there are any questions.
    Please continue to post here if you will be coming along so I know who to expect.
    Roy

CCAC Member
    I may come, it depends on my work schedule. I wouldn't be able to drive a carpool because I have a small pickup truck and can't comfortably carry more than one passenger.
    -Rebecca

CCAC Member
    Ok so who is driving? Who has room for others/ how many? Who needs to ride with someone? Lets iron it out.

Global Moderator
    I don't mind driving but not sure how much room I'll have in my car. It depends who shows up. I might have my friend Glen with me and I told Hedy she could ride with me if she comes and needs a ride. I also told Adam he could ride with me but he's pretty sure he has to work. So... With almost everybody being a "maybe" it's hard to make concrete plans. Over the next few days, I hope people will shore up their plans and post here to let us know for sure if they're going. (hint, hint) The manager from Inland Aquatics wanted to know how many people to expect but I haven't been able to give him an answer. I'm sure Irvin would like some idea as well.
    Roy

I am still planning on meeting you all down there at Inland Aquatics at 11am.
    Chris Miller
    Lafayette, IN

CCAC Member
    I plan on going but might have to leave early.

CCAC Member
    I'm planning on going, and I would like a ride.
    -Rebecca

CCAC Member
    Crystal and I are going, probably driving.... if so we will have room for 2. (Crystal smokes)

Global Moderator
    Don't forget to save room for styro boxes in case you buy fish at one of the place we visit. It'll probably be hot. I know I'm hoping to find something I want.
    Also, I should have room for some folks in my car if I need to drive.
    Roy

switching my maybe to a no... sorry guys things came up.

CCAC Member
    i cant go now either. NOT COOL
    Joe D.

Global Moderator
    Bummer. 2 drop outs. Sorry guys. I always hate it when life gets in the way of my hobby.
    Roy

I've heard so much about Irvin's place too... I hate the fact I have to back out.

Global Moderator
    So here's who I have going on this roadtrip and meeting up at the hotel unless otherwise noted: (please provide any corrections you know of)
    Me
    Bobby
    Sam
    Jason & Crystal
    Dahl (maybe?)
    Vu
    Rebecca
    Chris Miller (will meet us at Inland Aquatics)
    Mark H., Ashley & Jerry & Jenn L. (I believe are riding over together and will meet us at Inland Aquatics)

Does that sound right? That's 12 people.

Roy

Dahl is going and can drive if needed have truck with big back seat and covered bed to haul coolers.

My wife will be with me if numbers mean anything.
    Chris Miller
    Lafayette, IN

CCAC Member
    Our finances went to s*#t so we have to cancel. Take some cool pics please.

Global Moderator
    Real sorry to hear that. That's my finances pretty much every week it seems like so I understand. I'll try to take pics.
    Roy

CCAC Member
    I know by the end of the day if I have to work or not tomorrow.
    Adam Anderson