Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Oxygen Tanks

CCAC Member

Oxygen Tanks

Hi guys,
    I am planning to start shipping fish soon and wanted everyone's input. I am planning to purchase an oxygen tank. I have no clue about O2 tanks and never use one before. I am looking for a 1/2 size, roughly around the size of the CO2 container at the last meeting. I do have several questions about oxygen tanks which are listed below.

1) What is all the certifications of the tanks and how long does the certifications last?
    2) What are all the attachments that I need to make it work? I mean the attachments needed to be able to blow O2 into a bag.
    3) How many bags can one tank fill?
    4) How heavy are the tanks cause I have to carried it downstairs?

I am pretty sure I will have more questions, but these are a good start. Also if anyone has any added inputs or advice, I would love to hear about them. Thanks.

Administrator
    1. They do expire. I would consider just renting one from a welding supply store. Or you can sometimes buy your own and then just exchange it for one of theirs.
    2. You'll need some sort of needle valve and a hose. Shouldn't be too expensive.
    3. Hard to say. Tanks come in all variety of sizes.
    4. They are not so heavey that you couldn't carry a 20lb tank downstairs. The bigger ones can get to be heavy, but nothing a two-wheeled cart couldn't handle.
    Bobby

CCAC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    1. They do expire. I would consider just renting one from a welding supply store. Or you can sometimes buy your own and then just exchange it for one of theirs.
    2. You'll need some sort of needle valve and a hose. Shouldn't be too expensive.
    3. Hard to say. Tanks come in all variety of sizes.
    4. They are not so heavey that you couldn't carry a 20lb tank downstairs. The bigger ones can get to be heavy, but nothing a two-wheeled cart couldn't handle.
    I was looking into a tank the size of the CO2 tank that was on display at the last club meeting. Hopefully that isn't too heavy. If I buy a new tank it has a 10 year testing cert. on it and go to the air gas place to fill it up, then they exchange out my tank for a used tank. Wouldn't that suck I lost 10 year cert for a tank that probably has 2-3 year left on it.

Last note, if anyone knows of an available O2 tank please let me know. Thanks.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by vtma71 View Post
    I was looking into a tank the size of the CO2 tank that was on display at the last club meeting. Hopefully that isn't too heavy. If I buy a new tank it has a 10 year testing cert. on it and go to the air gas place to fill it up, then they exchange out my tank for a used tank. Wouldn't that suck I lost 10 year cert for a tank that probably has 2-3 year left on it.

Last note, if anyone knows of an available O2 tank please let me know. Thanks.
    What you saw at the meeting was approximately a 20lb tank. Not too heavy. I just carried one myself last night.

You can request that they refill your tank, no need to exchange if you don't want to.

I don't know of any for sale, but I have been pricing them out. Seems to be the same everywhere you go.
    Bobby