Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ideas for a 250 gallon tank.

I am starting up a 250g tank. This is a massive project for me so I need a lot of advice. I am a fairly new aquarist. I only have a 30g and a 10g right now with some cichlids in the 30g. First, I would like to know if I need to reinforce my floor since I am on a crawlspace. It is a modern nicely built home. Also, this will be a planted tank. Any advice or ideas (like lighting or types of plants, etc.) will be greatly appreciated.

Global Moderator
    Wow! Way to jump in with both feet. It's generally recommended that large tanks should run perpendicular to floor joists so take that into consideration when you think about where to place it. I would definitely recommend reinforcing them as well. It can only help. Your talking about roughly 1 ton of weight. Get some stout boards and cinder blocks, maybe even some floor jacks, whatever works for you.
    I can't say much about planted tanks since that's not my area. We definitely have some knowledgable people on here though. If you've been to one of our auctions or meetings then you know that good plants are usually available at very low prices.
    Good luck and keep us informed and keep asking questions.
    Roy

haha ya I jumped in alright. I got a pretty good deal on the tank. I am going to run perpindicular to the joists. It's 6 feet wide so it should sit on a few of them. I will probably do basically what you are saying for support. I don't want to take any chance of it bowing. I am sure it would hold but I don't want that area sinking or something. Thanks for the advice.

Administrator
    To know for sure, you would need to know what specific type of floor joists that you have. From there, you can calculate the appropriate loading capacity of joints across the area in which you want to place the tank.

If it is a newer home, you most likely have engineered I-joists. We would just need to know the size.

As Roy suggested, you will probably want to brace the flooring to help support the weight. It is a simple job really, just dirty. LOL
    Last edited by Pharaoh; 06-11-2013 at 03:20 PM.
    Bobby

ya I won't be looking forward to it but I have a pretty nice crawlspace. I can almost walk upright in it. haha

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt991 View Post
    ya I won't be looking forward to it but I have a pretty nice crawlspace. I can almost walk upright in it. haha
    I would call that an unfinished basement. LOL Dig it out and pour some concrete!
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    I would call that an unfinished basement. LOL Dig it out and pour some concrete!
    haha I have thought about that.