Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: UV set up

UV set up

All- I am hpoing someone could assist me on this. I have several Lifegard QL Series UV Sterilizers. I have QL 80's and QL120's I would like to use the same UV seterlizer unit for two 120 gallon tanks that have have independent Tidepool filters. How can I builsd a sump , plumb it, and balance the flow in and out of the two tanks. I do not care if the two tanks water is inter cahnged or maybe I can use a valve that would allow me to sterilize one tank for 12 hours and then the other??

Administrator
    Let me see if I understood. You want two tanks, plumbed independently with their own sumps and plumbing, except for the UV, correct?

You would be better off to run a UV on each tank. There is not real easy way to setup a pump system that alternates between tanks without the risk of overflowing one or the other. The only real possibility would be to have extremely oversized overflows and a dual electronic solenoid valve setup that would switch based on timer settings. There might be issues with how/where the water pulls, if you would need multiple pumps, etc. I'd suggest running two idependent setups, or plumbing the two tanks together on one sump.
    Bobby