Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Global Moderator

Salvaging Flake Food

Does anybody know of a way to salvage flake food that is still good but has broken down into flakes that are too small for your fish? The one thing I hate about flake food is that, no matter how careful I am, they always end up as little flakes or powder long before I finish the whole container. I'm wondering if there's a recipe or method for salvaging this broken up flake food. Like maybe mixing it with some sort of gelatin. If I could end up with something that resemble Repashy food then I'd be a happy camper.
    And on that subject, if anybody has experience with a really good flake that does not crumble easily, let me know. Maybe I'll try it next time I buy some flakes.
    Roy

Administrator
    Two words: fry food
    Bobby

Global Moderator
    I don't have that many fry! I'm talking about a lot of flake food. Like when you buy it in bulk, not just the last little bit left in a can of food.
    Roy

CCAC Member
    If you already have replashy you can mix those flakes in with it or buy some "Knox Unflavoured Gelatine" and mix flakes with that and/or anything else and make your own gel food, you can also add anything else like vitamin supplements or medication.
    Adam Anderson

CCAC Member
    you can make a big batch of gel food and freeze it and pull out what you need when you need it.
    Adam Anderson

Global Moderator
    Thanks Adam. I'll look for some of that gelatin. I'm out of Repashy food right now. Wish I had some. Stuff ain't cheap though.
    Roy

Global Moderator
    I've experimented with this and it works pretty good. I've been able to make something about the same consistency as the Repashy gel food by mixing a little bit of gelatin with the flakes and a little hot water. I tested it on a few less precious fish for several days with no ill effects. And all the fish seem to like it. Thanks for the tip Adam. The Tropheus love it.
    Roy

CCAC Member
    Glad I could help!

One more tip: you can add leftover food scraps like zucchini, peas, spinach, broccoli, carrots or for the meat eaters; fish, shellfish, shrimp, beefheart, and earthworms
    Adam Anderson

CCAC Member
    This has a good list of "human food" that you can add to you fish's diet.

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...ary-needs.html
    Adam Anderson