Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

apisto spawning help

This is my first try with apistos. I bought a pair of flame agazizzi from a reputable lfs and the male died almost instantly. When I went back to get a replacement they said they didn't have any and couldn't get anymore so they gave me a fire gold agazizzi male instead. I figured I'd see if I could spawn these before investing in some from an internet retailer. When I brought the new male home they both started hanging out together and spawned for the fist time a few days latter. They are now spawning about every two week's for a total of 8-10 spawns. Problem is the eggs disappear a few days after they spawn. There aren't any snails or other fish in the tank and I have not seen either one eating them. The female constantly guards them until they disappear. Also if I did get a successful spawn would these be hybrids or just not a true line. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20131201_133119.jpg   20131216_211230_5_bestshot.jpg   20131216_210251_3_bestshot.jpg  

Global Moderator
    It's my understanding that "flame" and "fire gold" are line-bred versions of A. agassizi, basically domestic strains. Crossing 2 different strains does not make a hybrid so I don't really see a problem with it myself. It's no worse than crossing a cobra guppy with a moscow guppy.
    Not sure what to tell you about the disappearing eggs. Do they get fungussed? Or do they appear to be fertile and starting to develop normal before they disappear? My guess would be that the female or the male is eating them when you have your back turned. In my limited experience, this is all too common with egg-layers like this. Especially if the eggs are not fertile.
    As a side note, there's an interesting biography that came out this year about Louis Agassiz who this fish was named after.
    http://tucsoncitizen.com/wryheat/201...toph-irmscher/

Roy

The eggs are a bright orange/pink up until they disappear. I haven't noticed any development or anything that would lead me to believe they are fungussed. Was going to say we were on day three or fore of the most recent spawn but I just went to get a pic of the eggs and they are gone. There were about 60-70 last night.(the pic attached is from an old spawning) I did see something though that makes me wounder. I have some sort of amphipods in all my tanks. I don't know what they are or where they came from (probably plant hitchhikers) but I would think it would be more gradual rather than all at once if it was these guys.
    Thanks for the reply and the link ( to bad my phone wont open it)