Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Global Moderator

Synodontis lucipinnis

I've had Syn. lucipinnis for many years and maintained a pretty big colony. In fact, I just sold several to a fellow hobbyist and still have at least 5 left. When I bought these they were sold as Syn. petricola but I've read the literature about how petricola has been split into another almost identical species named "lucipinnis" and I'm pretty sure that's what I have. Anyway, for all of these years I've never made a deliberate attempt to spawn them but I've never avoided it either and I've never seen any babies. Well during a routine water change tonight that all changed. I saw something darting around in the gravel and realized I have baby S. lucipinnis. I rescued 2 or 3 that I could and put them in a tank with some small Tanganyikan cichlids. Now that I know they will actually spawn I will have to make a concerted effort to get more babies and raise them.
    I know Chuck Person was raising these but I think he quit the club when he moved. Anybody else have experience spawning these. I wonder how many fry are in the average spawn.
    Here's a pic of some of the adults.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1807.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	49
    Roy

Congrats Roy !! I have 6 adults in with Nkambe, Trets, Buescheri and some oddball Tangs, and although I'm sure they've spawned in there, I've never seen a fry yet. I wonder why.....
    A few Cinci guys have raised them, and used the upside down flower pot with marbles method. I believe there's a great article on planetcatfish that explains in detail the answers to your questions.
    One of these days I'll move mine into a tank on their own and give it a try. The fry are darn cute!
    In nature multiple species typically do not live in the same niche in the same location. If they do cross paths, they will compete since they are filling the same role in their ecosystem - eventually one will succeed while the others will cease. Welcome to evolution.

Administrator
    Congrats. You just need a couple more for BAP.

CCAC Member
    Congrats Roy!

CCAC Member
    Congrats Roy.

Global Moderator
    Just transferred (7) tiny lucipinnis fry to a 10 gallon grow out tank with equally small Telmatochromis temporalis fry. I hope they do well. They are pale heads with tails zipping around and look like sperm cells. LOL

Administrator
    haha

Congrats Roy
    i have about 20 lucipinnis at about 1in and from what i hear they grow extremely slow.