Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Saturday Social - April 21st @ 4:00pm

Now's the opportunity for a Saturday meeting. I hope everyone can make it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sat Social.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	60

Global Moderator
    Saturday Social one week from today. Bring snacks and drinks if you like. You can also compete in the bowl show if you want to. This is just for fun and bragging rights so the rules are relaxed. We do need a judge for the bowl show (or two or three) and it needs to be somebody fairly knowledgeable and not competing in the bowl show so I'll need a volunteer(s) for that.
    Roy

Do we have to bring the display tanks or anything else? This is my first bowl show ever, so I was wondering what the relaxed rules are.

Global Moderator
    Yes, bring your own container for the fish. This is from the official rules on the CCAC website: "All entries must be shown in a flat sided bowl or tank with a cover. No backgrounds or decorations are permitted. Dividers may be used for family or school entries. Entries must be shown in an appropriately sized container."
    What we said in the FB discussion about this is that even this will be relaxed because, as Dan Young pointed out, if he brings a goldfish they are displayed in a white bowl and viewed from above. Since this is totally open and just for fun and bragging rights I say we not be sticklers about the rules and bring whatever small container you feel will best show the fish in a clear manner. I would stick with the no decoarations though and just make it a bare container. So for instance I might bring a betta and I have a 1-gallon hex tank that I will bring to put him in. HTH
    Roy

So a ten gallon tank would be ok, and does gravel count as a decoration? The reason I'm asking is that the guys I'm thinking of taking tend to show color better with dark gravel

Global Moderator
    A 10-gallon would be fine but just remember to bring as much aged tank water with you as you can comfortably bring. The smaller the container, the easier it is to fill. And I don't think you want to plunk your prize fish into water straight from the tap in Indy. I suppose you could bring the proper water conditioner. What do other people plan on doing for water once they get there? Any input?
    As far as gravel, I'm not 100% sure. The rules only say "no decorations" so I think gravel should be OK the more that I think about it. Does anybody know what we've done in the past?
    Roy

Administrator
    Generally, the tanks are 100% bare.

Global Moderator
    Alright so we usually go with bare tanks but I'm not going to disqualify anybody since this is for fun. If you really want to bring some gravel then I don't mind. Audri, I notice you said "guys" (plural) when referring to your fish. Are you planning to bring a group or just a single fish? I hadn't thought about it but I guess sometimes we show groups of fish which would be OK. Just be warned that I'm still not sure how this competition will get judged since it will be so ecclectic. Or even who will judge it. Mostly I just want to see some beautiful fish.

Global Moderator
    Also remember this event is an afternoon pitch-in if you want to bring snacks or drinks. I will try to bring a small cooler with pop and water.

Well Im trying to choose between 3 cichlids. The problem is two of them have a bad tendancy to lose coloration bad so I was thinking of bringing the gravel to help darken things so they color up properly. The one Im leaning towards is really sensitive to the color of the tank bottom for his coloration. I wouldnt even consider him for a real event but since its for fun I think he will be a good different inclusion.

Administrator
    I'm thinking about bringing some seamonkeys. Guaranteed winner.

Is it just one entry per person??

Global Moderator
    Bring more than one if you like.
    Roy