Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CCAC Member

Holding female Enant. "Kilesa"

I don't pay close enough attention, but I think she is at about 15-20 days in these pictures. Can clearly see some "eyes" of the babies in her mouth, and see them wriggling around once in a while.....cool stuff. I actually have 2 females holding right now - the one pictured, and another that has been holding for a little less than a week. Has anyone stripped these females? I have stripped some mbuna before, but am a little concerned, as these seem a little more fragile than the Malawi cichlids...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kilesa female holding.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	181

Name:	ekilesa female.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	182

Name:	holding female kilesa.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	183

Global Moderator
    I would be leery of stripping them. You're right that they seem a little delicate but then I almost never strip any fish. My best advice is to capture her during the middle of the night by coaxing her into a container under water and transfer her to a maternity tank to let her spit on her own (don't use a net and lift the fish out of water because I think that startles them). That's what I've done several times with my kilesa. If she spits out babies in the main tank they will almost certainly get eaten. My kilesa are ravenous eaters of absolutely anything they can fit in their mouths.
    Roy

CCAC Member
    I do know the babies will not make it in the big tank. I have had females hold 4 or 5 times now, and only once did I ever see a fry - and he disappeared within about 5 minutes after seeing him. Will definitely do it in the middle of the night, just worked for about an hour to catch 6 J. ornatus out of the same tank (225 gallons), and they are relatively easy to catch compared to these guys. Thanks for the tips, will let you know how it goes.....

Forgive my poor photo skills. I only have an iPhone.
    The fry in the last pic are N. buescheri "Muzi".
    brain dumps braindumps
    act prep test act prep test
    Testking http://test-king.us
    Certkiller http://certkiller.info