Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CCAC Member

DIY in-wall fish tank

Hi guys, thinking about building a in-wall fish tank for my 180g show tank. The wall I will build, thus it will not be a load-bearing wall. Do you guys know where I can get some information online cause most of the online information does not seem to come from knowledgeable people. Or if someone has built one and don't mind sharing the information, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Global Moderator
    You could check with Qaddiction (Todd L.). I know he has 2 very nice in-wall tanks. He could probably give you some tips.
    Roy

Administrator
    I built an in-wall tank. Turned out pretty nice. What kind of information are you looking for?

pretty much if you can build a rack and frame a wall, you are set. the toughest part is getting the drywall to look nice and preventing moisture damage.

CCAC Member
    Actually, any information would be nice. What is a good height? How to set the trim on the drywall?

Administrator
    I like to frame around the tank and stand with 2x4s, which gives you something behind the drywall to nail the trim pieces in place.

I built my stand and added 1 2x4 for the top plate and ran 2 2x4s up each side then 1 2x4 1/4in above the tank then added the other studs where needed.

Go over to GCAS.org on The Forum under General Discussion there is a topic/thread titled: 120 Gallon in wall Build

It contains quite a few nice photos of in progress construction.