Register

Welcome to the Circle City Aquarium Club Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Global Moderator

Recommend some plecos

I mentioned this in a different thread but thought I'd single it out on it's own... For those pleco afficionados out there, what species would you recommend for somebody who wants to keep some beautiful exotic plecos but wants to actually see them once in a while? I know a lot of plecos prefer to stay hidden. I'd like something that is at least as extroverted as bushy-noses. Thanks.
    Roy

I had a clown pleco that stayed out a lot..
    THE IRISH PIT BULL
    FIR NA DLI

Global Moderator
    I was thinking of something more exotic to be honest. Not that I can afford much...

BOD Member
    Most of the pretty stuff hide. Some of the wood eaters will stay out on a log. A cool one is the "royal".

CCAC Member

plecos

Crystsl has a gold nugget that stays fairly visable.

I have 4 - 3" L-081's in my 125 and see them frequently. I know they can get to 14", but thru my research I have found that it is normal for them to get no larger than 9" in most aquariums. I got 4 LDA-01's, 4 L-201's, and 4 strains of bristlenose that I NEVER see. I have to move stuff around during cleanings to make sure I still have them all. I have heard that the LDA-008 (A. Carlos) are daytime plecos, but good luck finding some. I've been looking for them for about a year now.

CCAC Member
    You are correct about the LDA-08's, they are indeed hard to find.. I looked for 2 years and finally got my hands on some.. They breed and the complete tank went belly up.. Luckily I was able to save some fry!! I have some growing out.. If you can wait a little longer ill have some more. There pushing a year old now and are only maybe a inch.. There not very fast growers at all..

i have a 20 inch pleco that cant really me missed . not really exotic but an attention getter for sure . and he's for sale !

thanks

I've been looking for them for about a year now.
    Pass4sure Pass 4 sure
    Braindumps brain dumps
    70-483 questions 70-483 questions

The L46 is the prettiest pleco I have ever seen. However, it is very expensive. Check out the L66 and the chocolate zebra plecos. They are both shy but do wander out of their caves and they are not terribly expensive.

Roy, I kept some L-201's in a 20L and never saw them. They stayed either in their caves or behind some rocks. I recently moved them in with a pair Gymnogeophagus Balzani in a 75 and added their favorite caves, and I have seen them more than I ever had. They're not too expensive, and can be found locally for sale from time to time.
    In nature multiple species typically do not live in the same niche in the same location. If they do cross paths, they will compete since they are filling the same role in their ecosystem - eventually one will succeed while the others will cease. Welcome to evolution.

Thoughts on L129 or L199 to keep and breed? What do you recommend?

Administrator
    I have some L199. They are pretty cool. They are out more than my L270s or my L333, but they still hide if you move too quickly.
    Bobby

I also have some L199 and i very love them
    Keeping fish is very happy, I have started with my first 5 gallon fish tank and then I understand a 20 gallon fish tank kit is better for a beginer. Then I decide to buy my new aquarium with a best canister filter for it.